Saturday, August 26, 2006

American Goods

My first Gaiman read. What a mix! Egyptian cat goddess Bast, the Irish god Mad Sweeney, and the Slavic god of darkness and death, Czernobog mixed together with modern gods like TV, Malls, the Internet...

The book is a snapshot of American soul more than a science-fiction book.

American Gods is a book you either love or hate it. I looked at Amazon reviews: not many mild ones. Reviewers praise it or flame it.

Anyway, not what I was expecting from a Hugo and Nebula winner.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, it's a book that I would highly recommend it to my non-sf reader friends. I think they might start enjoying at least fantasy books. a lot of misconceptions about this genre. Secondly, it caught me from the first lines and kept the pace until the end. Great story ant that's what I sometimes look for in a book.
maybe I should write a short review although there are lots of references on American gods :)

8/29/2006 3:30 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

"The book is a snapshot of American soul more than a science-fiction book."

pai... tocmai. nu e sf, e fantasy. urban fantasy, daca vrei. nu prea se poate compara cu pkd, de exemplu... fiecare cu gusturile lui, evident. asa cum eu am citit 'omul in castelul inalt' si n-am inteles de ce o lauda lumea, asa si tu cu 'american gods'...

(dar o sa recitesc 'omul', e in plan, poate a doua oara inteleg mai mult din ea)

8/31/2006 5:12 PM  
Blogger Felix Enescu said...

Corect Jen!

Nu pot spune ca ma omor dupa "urban fantasy". Pentru mine trebuie un anumit mix intre zei si muritori. :-)

8/31/2006 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home